BUDAPEST AND THE CHAIN BRIDGE

THIS DRAWBRIDGE THAT IS 375 METERS LONG AND 16 METERS WIDE IS ONE OF THE STRUCTURES IN BUDAPEST THAT SHOULD ABSOLUTELY BE VISITED.  

When you walk towards the River Danube in Budapest, the capital of Hungary, you will be welcomed by the Szechenyi Chain Bridge, which is the symbol of the city. Actually, Budapest consisted of two different settlements named Buda and Pest on opposing sides of the River Danube; the Chain Bridge was the first to connect the two. The bridge that was constructed between the years of 1842 and 1849 by the order of Count István Széchenyi was named as the Chain Bridge because of its suspension chains, which resembled a necklace.

This suspension bridge, which is 375 meters long and 16 meters wide, is one of the structures in Budapest that should absolutely be visited. This beautiful structure, which spans the River Danube, is also known as the Lions Bridge among the locals because of the 4 sitting lion statues that decorate the bridgeheads. The lion duos, which are located at both ends of the suspension bridge, guard the structure. The bridge was destroyed during the Second World War and reconstructed faithfully in 1949. It is closed to traffic for some cultural activities done during the summer months.

Where are the lions’ tongues?
The bridge also has a sad story, which occurred after the completion of the bridge. According to rumors, when the bridge was first constructed the English Architect William Clark swore that he would commit suicide if there were any mistakes upon the completion of the bridge. He commits to making the bridge flawless with these words. When the day finally comes and the bridge is completed, all of the populace inspects it, and no architectural or static errors are found. However, a child then asks if the lions swallowed their tongues. Thereupon, it is realized that the lion statues have no tongues. Upon remembering the words of the architect of the bridge William Clark, the sculpture of the statues commits suicide by throwing himself off the bridge and into the River Danube.